Help I’m a Subject Leader for Geography – how can I map out the future? 2 half days
A two part course (it is essential that you attend both dates)
Dates: 31st January 2017 Part 1 1:15 – 4:30
22nd June 2017 Part 2 1:15 – 4:30
Venue: Holiday Inn, Ellesmere Port
Course Leader: Chris Trevor, Primary Education Consultant.
Audience: New or established subject leaders of Geography.
We will cover the following, over the two part course:
- Methods to review the current state of Geography in your school against the latest Ofsted criteria and national developments and advice. You will be given time to complete an audit of the teaching and learning in the subject in part 1 of the course. (Part 2 will provide time to reflect on progress against personal action points raised by the audit and support future developments required to raise standards in Geography further.)
- Awareness of how to be an effective leader and manager of Geography and how to create an evidence base.
- Practical strategies which a subject leader can use to effectively promote Geography, widen subject knowledge of all teachers and make the teaching of the subject outstanding and engaging.
- How to ensure coverage and enhance planning/delivery of the statutory skills and knowledge requirements of National Curriculum Geography.
- Generic suggestions for map-work and fieldwork, including ideas for learning outside the classroom. (Please be prepared to work outside for a short activity on part 2 of the course).
- Shared suggestions for assessing knowledge and skills with suggestions and activities for assessment with progression and challenge for all.
- Ideas on developing Spoken English, Extended writing across the curriculum and cross-curricular Maths linked to Geography.
- There will be opportunities to share good practice in both parts of the course. Please bring along your subject leader file, (if you have one) or relevant tracking or policy/ curriculum coverage documents to the first part of the course.
You will be told what to bring for the 2nd part of the course on day 1.
- You will leave with lots of ideas, resources and materials to support your colleagues and drive your subject forward.
Please note: The Ignite course called “Finding your way with Geography” on Thursday 2nd March 2017 is for any teacher requiring an extension of inspirational ideas! It will include a few elements of this course but it will go much further into developing ideas or to enhance the subject leader’ awareness of specific themes in KS1 and KS2 Geography.